Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

95%

Today marks the 2 week mark since Tyler's VEPTR implant.  Although it was a difficult time for Tyler and our family I know it was the best option for him.  One of the things that bothered me the most about the surgery was that it is not just ONE surgery.  Once you get the VEPTR, you are basically signing on for surgery every 6 months until it is decided that it is time for a permanent spinal fusion.  I know every child is different, and that point is reached at different ages, but that is a LOT of surgeries!  With that being said, I am so happy that he already has been visibly straightened by the VEPTR.  Tyler is also exceeding our expectations and flying through his recovery.  The transition from Oxycodone to Tylenol and Ibuprofen went smoothly over the weekend, and he only needs medicine a few times during the day now.  Joey and I felt good about his recovery, attitude and activity level, so I went back to work yesterday. 

Tyler has not returned to school, but is spending his days at Nana's house with his cousins.  He is loving it.  I asked him if he was ready to go to Nana's house or if he needed me to stay home with him on Monday.   He immediately opted for Nana's house.  Apparently he was tired of hanging out at home!  So, things have returned to almost normal.  I would say we are at around 95% of where we were before Tyler's surgery.  The remaining 5% is just the fact that he doesn't run as fast as he used to or jump as much (at least not yet), I am still giving him medicine for pain occasionally, and he is more emotional than before.  I know this will all come in time, and I think the last hurdle for Tyler is going to be an emotional one. 

Tyler has always been a pretty confident kid.  Despite his confidence, he has always been a bit reluctant to do simple tasks simply because he doesn't want to put in the effort to do it himself.  This morning he had a mini-fit over putting on his snow boots!  Tyler totally knows how to put them on all by himself, but would prefer for me to do it for him.  But he can dismantle the garden fence in quick time if allowed!  This passive behavior was something we were working on before the surgery, but I think we have had a relapse.  I know it is because he is emotional, which I understand, I am too, and I think his confidence has been shaken a little.  It is also because in the week leading up to the surgery to present, Joey and I have been trying to make things as easy for him as possible and giving him as much choice as possible.  Now, I'm not saying that is a bad thing, or that I would do it differently, it just means that we get to reteach some routines.  We were told that surgery and especially multiple surgeries can have a significant emotional impact on children, and I think are just at the beginning.  I know we will get there, and we will settle into a new routine of normal with a VEPTR.

No comments:

Post a Comment