Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Waiting for Ty

Today is about waiting. We arrived at the hospital on time and even went back to the surgery prep area on time, but then the waiting began. We talked to a nurse who told us that the doctor would be in shortly to see us. We waited. An hour and 15 minutes past the time his surgery was scheduled to begin I popped my head out of the room to see what was up. The nurse let us know that Dr. White's first surgery of the day was taking longer than expected and they would be with as soon as possible. My heart goes out to that family. I know I watch the clock closely when Ty is in survey, and I can imagine how scary it would be for surgery to go past the estimated time frame. We were getting concerned that Tyler was going to complain about being hungry, but he stayed busy with playing with the remote control car from Nana and Papa, books and youtube videos. He had a few rough patches emotionally as well, so I didn't want him getting worried again. Just before we left the hotel this morning Tyler got pretty emotional, telling us that he didn't need surgery, begging to just stay at the hotel all day. He has been a really strong kid leading up to today, which helps me keep it together. It makes it so hard to hide my feelings and put on my brave face when I see him scared. Anyways, the time eventually came for him to go and Joey walked him to the OR. That was really hard for me because I was the one to take him back for the other surgeries. He just hugged me and walked away for surgery, and I was left alone in the pep room with my thoughts and fears. We waited an hour and received the page that he was done. Dr. White met with us and said that everything went very well. He was able to get about a half of an inch expansion this time! He gave us the locking clip to about the size of a small 1 x 2 lego that he had just taken out of Tyler, and that was it. Now we are just waiting in his room for him to arrive. Tyler's nurse, Leslie, just let us know that he is doing well in recovery, but is still too sleepy to come to his room. They want him to be more awake and alert before he leaves the recovery room. Until then we wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment